Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ooblek...

This is a fun kitchen counter exploration.  Kid Scientists can explore on their own, while mom's working on something else.

Ages:  All ages of Kid Scientists will enjoy this mixture

Materials:  Corn starch, water, plastic bowl

Procedure:
  • Mix equal parts water with corn starch in a plastic bowl
  • Use your fingers to explore the mixture
  • When does this seem like a liquid?
  • When does it seem like a solid?
Extensions:
- Big Kid scientists may be interested in exploring Non-Newtonian fluids as a way of describing Ooblek
- Little Kid scientists will have fun with this Dr. Seuss exploration of Ooblek

1 Science Moms have commented...:

Jennifer B. said...

Thanks for the inspiration! I picked up this book at our library after reading your blog and decided I would give the Oobleck experiment a try. My girls LOVED it! FYI, I recommend after mixing the Oobleck up to leave it alone for about 30 minutes or so and then come back to it. My girls were mixing it up and playing with it so much that it stayed a liquid and I couldn't figure out why. After they left it to do something else and then came back, it had become quite solid, and it was fascinating to watch it change from a liquid to a solid. I enjoyed it as much as they did! Thanks again!